www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - My Private Tour of Dillon's Small Batch Distillers

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
My Private Tour of Dillon's Small Batch Distillers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: My Private Tour of Dillon's Small Batch Distillers Reply with quote

I had a wonderful experience this afternoon at Dillon's Small Batch Distillers in Beamsville Ontario within a stone's throw of my city 15 minutes away. I was fortunate to have a private tour of the distillery with the proprietor and distiller, Geoff Dillon. He also was kind enough to allow me to take photos of the distillery, the stills and set-up. He noted that one of the stills was a combined wash and spirit still specially designed by him, manufactured in Germany and was the only one of this particular type in the world.

I am including a series of photos I took today showing first the whole set-up
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag149/murray343/CollectionPhotos003_zps51f6826c.jpg

then the traditional pot still
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag149/murray343/CollectionPhotos001_zpsdb5a01d3.jpg

the condenser system
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag149/murray343/CollectionPhotos002_zps54a13f86.jpg

and then the combined still

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag149/murray343/CollectionPhotos004_zps8fa0f52b.jpg

Geoff was kind enough to sign a bottle of The White Rye for me which is now part of my whisky stock "empire".

p.s. They do make vodka and bitters as well. Further to The Whie Rye, it won a gold medal at the San Francisco show. As indicated by the distiller, the base is 100% Ontario Rye, the finishing unoaked, the mash bill 10% malt, 90% unmalted. The Disitller's notes: "made small batch in a copper pot still to allow for pure rye notes: spice , sweet, robustness."

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures look great Murray, i wonder what the production output would be
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
The pictures look great Murray, i wonder what the production output would be

William, the owner mentioned they were operating pretty well 7 days a week. I never thought to ask what the production output is but it's a good question. Some of the spirits will be aged as well and he had a variety of barrels on hand including wine ones. They just opened in January of this year.
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics.

I assume when you say "unoaked" you mean new make spirit which hasnt been matured in oak casks yet.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
Nice pics.

I assume when you say "unoaked" you mean new make spirit which hasnt been matured in oak casks yet.

That's right Keith.

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, there seem to more and more of these small craft distilleries appearing. Dillon's should do well if they stick to being 100% Canadian rye and dont release the whisky until it is ready. I suppose that is what the vodka side of the distillery is for it will bring an income for Dillons while the whisky matures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Canadian Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: