www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Are Genuine Whisky Fans Being Priced Out?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Are Genuine Whisky Fans Being Priced Out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernst

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Are Genuine Whisky Fans Being Priced Out? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I'm Joe, new to this forum. I don't usually have time for blogs etc, but I've loved whisky for many years and hope to be able to converse with you regulars, even if it's only occasionally, about matters relating to the fascinating liquid gold.

I hope it's not too big a question for a new user, but I wondered what your opinion is? I drink regularly with a small group of fellow whisky lovers and it concerns me to hear that some are considering supermarket malts; not just for taste test/comparisons etc, but because prices of their preferred malts are steadily on the increase.

I for one am sort of glad that Ebay have called time on trading in malts, although it's interesting to see gleeful entrepreneurs, so-called 'experts', taking up the mantle with new auction sites springing up to plug the gaps.

Trouble is, the increasing popularity in malts is squeezing the average drinker in the pocket... I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe. Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. Your question is a fair one. In some respects, single malt scotch has been, in the total scheme of things, generally at the top end of the spirit food chain in terms of cost for quite a while. Having said that, the steady rise in prices even now for what used to be considered the more staple drams, has caused many scotch aficionados to scale down their purchases or to go for the more reasonably priced drams which are often NAS. The situation is even more dire here in Canada where bottles are often 30% or higher than the same bottle of scotch in Great Britain. A bottle of Lagavulin 16 for example is 114. Canadian here in Ontario or a little more than 73 pounds equivalent. See what I mean. Yet those of us who can afford the rarer scotch air continue to purchase what the market considers the "great stuff" but very few folks including myself have inexhaustible supplies of moolah, ie., cash.. That's the stage as I see it setting up. Again, welcome aboard and I look forward to further posts from you. By the way, what's your favorite dram? My best friend here in Canada is originally from Liverpool.
Very Happy
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,
I do hope this is not going to be point a finger at the collector topic, that said yes malts are getting more expensive, but there are still bargains to be had, but also what is so wrong with the supermarket versions ? Some are pretty good value.
I noticed my last purchase has gone from £51.47 to £52,( balvenie 15 single barrel ) an increase of 53p a little more than the budget I do believe.. Anyway enjoy your time here, Cool
Calder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think many of us have been down grading which malts we may drink regularly due to the price increases over the last couple of years in particular. I do believe these price increases are more to do with the whisky companies business strategy than rising production costs or taxes.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calder wrote:
I do think many of us have been down grading which malts we may drink regularly due to the price increases over the last couple of years in particular. I do believe these price increases are more to do with the whisky companies business strategy than rising production costs or taxes.

Calder, I think you hit the nail on the head there.
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have someone wanting to join in discussion and create debate, so I don't think your first post is too much at all.

I have nothing against supermarket own brands when it comes to whisky, I rearly if ever drink them, but have nothing against them. I'd go as far as to add that if the origin of what's in the bottle were revealed, people would probably be saying they are cracking vlaue. At the end of the day it's how it tastes not where it's from or how much it costs.

I do think the general cost of whisky is on the rise and it's not at all a good situation for the average consumer, though whisky is at the moment enjoying great popularity across the globe and as such the comapnies which own the distilleries are hiking up their prices to maximise their profit. It all comes down to demand at the end of the day, while demand continues to rise and supply remains static, prices will always go upwards. It doesn't make it any easier on my wallet mind!

Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i dont buy as much older whisky for every day drinking as i used to. Even just 1 year ago i could get the Glenlivet 21 year old for £55 now you would be lucky to find it under £100 and this sort of price increase is common for the majority of 18 year old plus whiskies. This means i am more selective when buying older whiskies and less likely to experiment with unknown to me whiskies.
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder when the price increases in single malts will stop. Whisky historically has had its ups and downs but there has never been a time were single malts have been so popular and seen such increases in price.
Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading lately that sales volume in the past year for whisky was down but sales measured in £'s is up. Personally i think it is a dodgy game the whisky companies are playing with malt whiskies as far as pricing is concerned as a large percentage of malt whisky sales is for the gift market and these buyers will be more easily put off by high prices.
Bernst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I don't have one particular favourite ever dram, but a '79 Bunna is up there. For sheer taste experience though, it has to be the 2010 Supernova (hence the pic) - I don't often agree with Murray, but he was right with his assessment of that one.

I have a fair number of pricey whiskies in my collection, but in the main, I tend to shop at supermarkets, usually selecting malts on offer and taking advantage of xmas and father's day bargains! Those Tesco clubcard points also come in handy - I procured a Balvenie 14 Rum Finish recently, still unopened Wink

I've nothing against supermarket brands either and agree that taste is paramount when it comes to choice (Sainsbury's Islay 12 is one good example Top Malt ) and even the snobbiest of connoiseurs usually comes unstuck with the blind taste test - there's some good quality malt behind those cheesy labels!

For me, there are some decent also-rans; Abelour 10, Tormore 12 (yes Tormore!), 'froyg 10, Cardhu and I've still got plenty of Macallan 10 left... I quaff these more often, but having said that, I will be hitching a ride on the supermarket-own-label bandwagon for a while with my comrades and hopefully the cream will float to the top. I'll share our findings with you eventually...
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernst, another welcome from me to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy the chat here.

Check out this thread I started a while back now:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3142&highlight=prices

It's interesting to see that some brands (Glenfarclas are a good example) are around the same price today relative to 10 years ago once inflation is factored in. However you are right that the high end stuff has risen astronomically and certain brands (including your favoured Ardbeg unfortunately) have seen fit to cash in on their reputation (Highland Park, Lagavulin and Macallan also come to mind).

I was at a whisky tasting recently at an independent bottlers and he was telling me that it's harder than ever for the independents these days. Apparently they feel a bit hard done by that they helped to keep the industry afloat during the bad days and now are being marginalised as the producers now exploit the premium sector and try to squeeze it for all its worth. He thinks that many of the NAS releases now appearing are due to the longer aged stock having been sold off, I would guess he was referring to the likes of Macallan here.
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if/when any of the big name whisky writers/critics will ever stand up and say something about the way whisky prices are going or are they all too dependent on the income they make from the big name whisky producers to risk what they may earn as whisky consultants/ambassadors.

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like i am being priced out of what i would have considered my everyday drams. I probably drink the same amount as i did 5 years ago and probably spend double what i spent 5 years ago. I usually enjoy 2 or 3 drams a night and like to make them good ones but with the way prices are going I am being more selective in what i buy and buying more younger whisky than i used to.
Bernst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bifter wrote:
Bernst, another welcome from me to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy the chat here.

Check out this thread I started a while back now:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3142&highlight=prices

It's interesting to see that some brands (Glenfarclas are a good example) are around the same price today relative to 10 years ago once inflation is factored in. However you are right that the high end stuff has risen astronomically and certain brands (including your favoured Ardbeg unfortunately) have seen fit to cash in on their reputation (Highland Park, Lagavulin and Macallan also come to mind).

I was at a whisky tasting recently at an independent bottlers and he was telling me that it's harder than ever for the independents these days. Apparently they feel a bit hard done by that they helped to keep the industry afloat during the bad days and now are being marginalised as the producers now exploit the premium sector and try to squeeze it for all its worth. He thinks that many of the NAS releases now appearing are due to the longer aged stock having been sold off, I would guess he was referring to the likes of Macallan here.

Cheers Bifter, I couldn't believe my eyes looking down that list! Definitely some investment potential back then! And of course it's investment potential that continues to drive up the price - look at the Snow Phoenix; Glenfiddich were selling them directly at £50 a pop before they ran out. I managed to get 9 bottles from Waitrose at £60 each and now they're changing hands at £300+!

Far east interest in staple malts such as in China and Indonesia where they now demand a premium tipple to go with their Land Rover Evoque, continues to fill the industry coffers. It's good that heritage malts now have worldwide appeal, but sometimes I wish it remained a cottage industry! Either that or the big producers should sort out a few extra stills and make a stand on price... something's got to give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: