www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Ben Bracken 12 Y.O Malt from Lidl is Tamnavulin 12 Y.O Malt

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ben Bracken 12 Y.O Malt from Lidl is Tamnavulin 12 Y.O Malt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Ben Bracken 12 Y.O Malt from Lidl is Tamnavulin 12 Y.O Malt Reply with quote

Ben Bracken 12 year old speyside single malt is available from Lidl supermarket for only £10.99

After a bit of searching in google I found out that Ben Bracken is indeed a 12 year old Speyside malt, called Tamnavulin. Tamnavulin distillery closed down about 5 years ago and Whyte & Mackay Ltd the former owners of Tamnavulin sold a load of casks of Tamnavulin to Lidl supermarket and they now sell it under the name "Ben Bracken".

If you like malts such as Glen Deveron, Glenlivet, Tormore or Glen Ord then you will probably like this.

Cheers

Ross

Danny

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ross

I have never been in my local Lidl, but i think i will be paying it a visit this week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on this whisky.

Lidl still have plenty of it but it is £12.99 now but still a bargain considering whats in the bottle.

Cheers

Danny
paulmorris7777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: BEN BRACKEN Reply with quote

Is now £15.58 a bottle at Lidl.
mikecharles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Lidl Latest Reply with quote

Just back from a resupply foray to Lidl and there was only one Ben Bracken Speyside available, but other bottles of 12 YO"pure" malt also labelled Ben Bracken, but darker in colourWe .bought one of each @ £15.99 each. I'll post again after comparison tasting, but wondering if anyone else has come across this and had any further information.
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried the Lidl Ben Bracken probably around the time of the first post in this thread about 3 1/2 years ago, so i would be interested in your thoughts on it now. Supermarkets bottlings often change as it depends where they source the whisky so there is a a good chance this has changed.

Strange that they have a bottle with a "Pure Malt" label as i thought they had rules stopping the use of this as it is not very clear as to what is in the bottle. Pure Malt normally means a vatted malt or as they now say blended malt (a blend of single malts from different distilleries) so this will be different from the original Ben Bracken single malt.

mikecharles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Lidl Ben Bracken Reply with quote

Thanks McKay.

The Speyside Ben Bracken has been consistent in taste since we first tried it a couple of years ago. The "pure" malt is much darker in colour and, as yet, remains untasted. I did raise an enquiry with Lidl customer service about this and will post any response received here.

Cheers, Mike
mikecharles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Lidl Ben Bracken Single Malt Speyside & 12 yo "pure Reply with quote

Lidl customer service advised that the Ben Bracken 12 YO "Pure" malt is complementary to the Single Malt Speyside so both products should be available.

Slainte, Mike
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume the "Pure Malt" means it is a blend of malts from different distilleries so if Ben Bracken was originally Tamnavulin the Pure Malt may be totally different depending on how much Ben Bracken/Tamnavulin is in the mix. The darker colour does sound like a bit of the old e150 caramel colouring is in the pure malt also.
bobmac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Ben Bracken Reply with quote

Have tasted the above whisky for the first time. Never heard of it until I got a bottle as a present a few days ago Very impressed with it. I think we have a Lidl in Dumfries.

bobmac
malx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings etc...
I shop at Lidl due to Poverty and Proximity, and have been enjoying "Ben Bracken" for a couple of years. Not sure what colour it's supposed to be, but it's a glorious bright gold in my Edwardian ship's decanter, and tastes warm, generous and eager; like a Macallan without the prejudicial casking.
I love it to bits, and try to keep the decanter charged when I can afford to.

If indeed the Tamnavulin story is true it just goes to show how VITAL it is that we attempt to try to strive to ensure that NO more Distilleries go the way of all flesh.
If this 'Ben Bracken' is the product of a defunct Distillery, then the world is a lesser place, and I regret that. Let's hope Distilleries can weather the current financial storm and survive to repel boarders like Japanese and (presumably soon??) Chinese Whisky...

I'm delighted for Danny and Ross who seem to have bought B B for £10.99 a bottle in 2006. (My jealousy is best not viewed in public...) Today you need £16.99 to enter this particular golden gate to heaven, but imho is well worth the money.
Mine is labelled as 40% so I don't know what they've been doing to it in the last decade or so, but I'd certainly recommend it nevertheless. (Certainly there is no chlorine in it!)

Nice to read this Forum. Sorry if I don't become a regular, but limited funds restrict (water of) life experience.
malx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKay wrote:
i tried the Lidl Ben Bracken probably around the time of the first post in this thread about 3 1/2 years ago, so i would be interested in your thoughts on it now. Supermarkets bottlings often change as it depends where they source the whisky so there is a a good chance this has changed.

Strange that they have a bottle with a "Pure Malt" label as i thought they had rules stopping the use of this as it is not very clear as to what is in the bottle. Pure Malt normally means a vatted malt or as they now say blended malt (a blend of single malts from different distilleries) so this will be different from the original Ben Bracken single malt.

Sorry I didn't read your post fully earlier, McKay.
Looking at my bottle here there's no longer any mention of the word "Pure", so maybe they heard you, as they have altered the labelling.
My bottle clearly states in ink that it's Speyside Single Malt., and they've embossed the glass bottle with the words 'Single Malt', so I think they mean it! Wink

For the record, the address of the producer is given as: Clydesdale Scotch Whisky Co. Glasgow G2 5RG.

P.S. One observation.
On the internal side of the LABEL of my bottle there's an attractive image of a fog-shrouded mountain (I think). I can't take it off and look at it though, as it's immoveably stuck!
Mightn't it be an amusing marketing tool for companies/distilleries to change their glue manufacturers and start producing labels which can be peeled off easily and put on some kind of montage or freeze?
Sure, you can keep the bottle, but that takes up a lot of space, and is difficult to scan or photograph.
A neatly-peeled label (on the other hand) is the pre-cursor to a collectible work of art! Wink

Sandy Thomson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malx says "For the record, the address of the producer is given as: Clydesdale Scotch Whisky Co. Glasgow G2 5RG"...
I was given a bottle today - for printing off song sheets ready for Burns Night - and the Name is now 'Wallace & Young Distillers Co, Glasgow, Scotland. G2 2PQ'.
I admit I prefer the west coast Malts to Speyside, but as an aperitif, and free, it should be OK.

And yes, it's still from Lidl's... In west Cornwall - They must have bought a lot of stock from Tamnavulin ?
The colour seems to be somewhere between 'Amontillado Sherry' and 'Deep Copper' - using the Whiskey Magazine's Colour Bar Chart. (0.9 - 1.0).
On the inside of the back label, there's an etching of the Distillery in a valley, with a horse and dray on the winding road. The front 'label' is lettering printed directly onto the glass, the bottle itself has 'Single Malt' and 'Ben Bracken' in relief on the glass moulding. 70cl, 40%vol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: