www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Investing in Liquid Gold

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Investing in Liquid Gold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Investing in Liquid Gold Reply with quote

Interesting article on whisky as an investment modality:

http://www.execdigital.com/food_travel/drink/investing-in-liquid-gold

albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A risky business with good payoff's if you are wise AND fortunate.

Stick to the slots in Vegas! Confused
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, do we really want the world of premium malts to turn into a rich man's playground? A sensible secondary market is fine but rises in price such as those mentioned in the article perhaps aren't always healthy. Speculation presaged the current financial crisis after all. And it filters down to malt lovers and drinkers such as myself in the form of higher prices!

I also hate the thought that there is so much of the finest malt imaginable tied up in investments, never to be drunk. It's perverse. I could be wrong but I thought at least wine gets drunk, you can't keep the bottles forever.
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to tell I'm grumpy today! Evil or Very Mad

Smile
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bifter wrote:
The thing is, do we really want the world of premium malts to turn into a rich man's playground? A sensible secondary market is fine but rises in price such as those mentioned in the article perhaps aren't always healthy. Speculation presaged the current financial crisis after all. And it filters down to malt lovers and drinkers such as myself in the form of higher prices!

I also hate the thought that there is so much of the finest malt imaginable tied up in investments, never to be drunk. It's perverse. I could be wrong but I thought at least wine gets drunk, you can't keep the bottles forever.

bifter, you make some good and reasonable points. Let me relate some of this to the North American situation. The average person in Canada like many other countries does not have a great deal of disposable income. Now that I'm a retired professional I see a lot of people around who have 2 jobs just to make ends meet. There are many people who do not make $100. a day or 63 pounds equivalent a day. How many of these people can or would be willing to spend $100. for a bottle of single malt scotch=a day's work. As you know a lot of malts that go for 30 or 40 pounds in England or Scotland are priced over a hundred dollars here. So someone of average income who would like to pursue a single malt interest for just drinking let alone investing is put off by what is exorbitant pricing if you equate earnings to disposable income. I think a lot of us when we talk about the issue of investing in whisky, it is more like day-dreaming about possibilities when in reality , all or most of it gets imbibed by us. I say I will keep this or that but when the novelty wears off, it eventually goes down the hatch. Your comments are well-taken and provide a much needed reality check.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: