www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Any new malts on the scene I should consider??

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any new malts on the scene I should consider??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarahg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Any new malts on the scene I should consider?? Reply with quote

Hi - I posted on here way back in 2009 and confessed my ignorance of whisky Embarassed I was looking for recommendations for my Dad who loves his whisky. Well Im after a refresher!

everyone was very helpful last time - I explained he likes Laphroig (excuse spelling) Talisker, Lagavulin and that I had bought him some Smokehead which he liked too. A couple of people recommended Ardbeg which went down very well - thank you!

Also Compass Box but I noticed this was a blended and he likes single - does that matter???

So any other new whiskys on the scene that I could consider for him?

Thank you all in advance Very Happy

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new malts on the scene I should consider?? Reply with quote

Sarahg wrote:
Hi - I posted on here way back in 2009 and confessed my ignorance of whisky Embarassed I was looking for recommendations for my Dad who loves his whisky. Well Im after a refresher!

everyone was very helpful last time - I explained he likes Laphroig (excuse spelling) Talisker, Lagavulin and that I had bought him some Smokehead which he liked too. A couple of people recommended Ardbeg which went down very well - thank you!

Also Compass Box but I noticed this was a blended and he likes single - does that matter???

So any other new whiskys on the scene that I could consider for him?

Thank you all in advance Very Happy

Hi Sarah. One brand you haven't mentioned is Caol Ila, another smokey, peaty dram. A popular variety here now is CAOL ILA DISTILLERS EDITION . I'm in Canada. However, The Whisky Exchange has it on with a special offer:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/twesearchresult.aspx?q=caol+ila+distillers+edition+

As to your question as to whether it matters if a scotch is a blend or a single malt, it really depends on the individual and their tastes. You mentioned your Dad likes single malts so he may or may not gravitate to blends. You could always try to investigate his tastes in this direction. Personally, I prefer single malts but I do enjoy some quality blends like for example Ballantine's 17 which is an exceptional dram rated higher than many single malts. As I say, it's all a matter of tastes and flexibility.

Good Luck.
Kenny M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah and welcome back, there are a lot of excellent whiskies which i could recommend from £30 going up to £100's, just depends on how much are you looking to spend on a bottle. Each distillery produce a number of different expressions, i dont know what your dad would have had so far but here are a few suggestions from the distilleries that he likes which are all very good whioskies which i would love to receive as a gift.

Lagavulin 16 year old
Lagavulin Distillers Edition
Lagavulin 2012 Special Release

Ardbeg 10 year old
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Laphroaig 10 year old
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig 18 year old

Talisker 10
Talisker 57° North
Talisker Distillers Edition
Talisker 18 year old

Or you could also consider Big Peat Christmas Edition 2012 which comes in a very christmassy looking bottle. This is a vatted malt which contains whisky from Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and the very rare Port Ellen and it is very good indeed

Compass Box is a independent bottler who bottle some very good whisky inclyuding blended whisky and blended (also known as vatted) malts
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything from Bowmore should go down a storm also.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah

Everyones suggestions so far are all very good and i dont think you can go wrong choosing any of them.

You say you are looking for "new malts on the scene". As suggested by Kenny, there is the Big Peat Christmas Edition 2012 which is an outstanding vatting of Islay malts and as Kenny says very Christmassy looking.

Also new in the past year is the Port Charlotte The Peat Project and the Port Charlotte 10 year old which are big peaty whiskies from the Bruichladdich distillery and a couple of outstanding whiskies which i am sure your dad will love given what he already likes.

A little more expensive and new this year is another mentioned above, the Lagavulin 2012 Special Release

Another that comes to mind is the excellent Bowmore Tempest 10 year old Batch 3
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will 2nd the Port Charlotte as something new and an excellent peaty Islay whisky.

drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC10 and Octomore might go down well
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to we careful with the Octomore though, very peaty and expensive for what it is!

Still good if you're a peat head.
k1ranki
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Moving slightly away from some of the more obvious choices why don't you consider

Arran -Machrie Moor 3 or The Orkney Bere which could be a very unusual bottling.
Old Ballantruan 10 yr old - is a cracking dram and comes in at a hefty 50% Vol.
Dalmore Cigar Malt - rich and robust
Kilchoman 100% Islay - still rare to see 100% Islay
Jura Prophecy -rich, smoky from an underrated distillery
Mortlach 21yr old G+M bottling -moving away from the smokies of Islay but still very rich and complex
Sarahg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Thank you all so much that's just fantastic lists of choices!! I like the idea of the Christmas one as its so festive!!! But you've also given me some great gift ideas for coming fathers days, birthdays etc for me and the family to treat him with!

Thank you all again - it's so appreciated as I just have no idea on these things!

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas 😃
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: