www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Which whisky should I get from Scotland?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Which whisky should I get from Scotland?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pug-Nose

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Which whisky should I get from Scotland? Reply with quote

My girlfriend is going over to Scotland soon (on vacation from Norway)
I asked her to buy me a whisky while she was there.

But, which should she buy? I am quite new to this, but I enjoyed "The Dalmore Single Highland Malt 12 year old".

Is there any that you could recommend? And that she can buy from a shop not that hard to find?

Price range around 150 USD or 75£

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pug-Nose

For that amount of money and considering that you are quite new to Scotch malt whisky there is a huge selection available for you to choose from.

The big cities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh have a few excellent Scotch Whisky shops such as Oddbins, The Whisky Shop and Royal Mile Whiskies.

There is also a great selection of whisky and some good bargains to be had at the airports. I dont know which airport your girlfriend is flying into in Scotland but you will find a "World of Whiskies" shop at Glasgow and Edinburgh airports both of which have a good selection of whisky with considerable savings on shop prices.

You can check out the World of Whiskies website where you can view their latest offers at their airport shop http://www.worlddutyfree.com/portal/site/wdf.html
Check out their Malt Wisky Offers and their World of Whiskies pages on the site.

You say you enjoyed The Dalmore 12 year old, other good sherried malts that you would probably enjoy are:

Aberlour a'bunadh, 10 year old, 15 year old
Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength, 10 year old, 15 year old
The Macallan 10 year old, 18 year old (both sherry wood)

For the amount you are looking to spend i would recommend Highland Park 18 year old, Macallan 18 year old or Talisker 18 year old, these are all very special whiskies.

Andy
Pug-Nose

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Andy.

I looked this one up from the whisky shop: http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?pid=1868

It looks reasonably priced as well, as I found it another place costing over 129£. What do you think about this?

Another one I found was this one: http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?pid=2401
A bit more dissimilar to the Dalmore that I am familiar with, but maybe thats not such a bad thing!

If you dont recommend any of these, I`ll go for the Talisker 18 or the H Park 18
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pug Nose

Out the 2 whiskies you mention i have only tried the Old Pulteney 21 year old, it is a good dram which i am sure you will enjoy. I havent had the Glenugie from Douglas Laing who is an independent bottler of whisky but i have had other Douglas Laing bottlings and i have always found his bottlings to be quality drams. As you say that does seem a decent price for a 25 year old whisky. I had a look in Jim Murrays whisky bible and he scores the Glenugie at 87/100 which is a pretty decent score. I am sure you would enjoy it and it is a limited edition rare whisky which will not be around for ever.

The other 3 whiskies Andy mentions Highland Park, Macallan and Talisker 18 year olds are all excellent whiskies which anyone new to Scotch whisky should try at least once. The HP 18 and Talisker are both recent winners of Best Whisky in the World at the Whisky Magazine awards, this tells you that they are quality drams.

Mark
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pug Nose

Like Mark, i have only tasted the Old Pulteney and i agree it is a decent whisky. I had a look in the Whisky Bible which Mark mentions and the Glenugie should be a decent whisky.

I would guess the Glenugie would be the one out of all mentioned above that you probably would not be able to get in Norway, so i would say that one would tempt me.

I am sure you will like the HP18 or the Talisker 18 if you decide to go for them, they are both real quality whiskies.

If you do go for the Glenugie be sure in drop in and let us know what you thought of it.

Andy
Pug-Nose

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really appreciate the answers.. Good to know there are people who care about what they are drinking Very Happy

Is The Whiskey Shop an expensive store? The whiskies you have recommended (HP and Talisker) cost the same here in Norway (even with our insane alcohol taxes). These whiskies I might as well buy here in Norway.

The Old Pulteney and Glenugie is not to be found in Norway.
The Macallan Fine Oak Single Malt 18 Years Old costs about 100£ here in Norway? What do you think I have to pay for it in the airport?

I`ll send a list with my girlfriend who will be in this order:
1: Old Pulteney 1983 Limited Edition 21 year old
2: Glenugie Old Malt Cask 25 year old
3: Macallan Oak Single Malt 18 year (if she can get it for ~75£)

Gary H

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look in the world duty free website and they have a 1 litre bottle of Talisker 18 for only £29.99 which is a fantastic price. Top Malt

Pug Nose is your girlfriend flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh, if so you could contact the duty free shop via their website and ask them for prices on a specific whisky. I always find the airport is always cheaper by far and Glasgow airport has a great choice of whisky not sure about Edinburgh as i do not use it. The whisky they show online available from their duty free shop is just a sample of what they do have.

I would have thought you would have went for the Macallan sherry wood rather than the macallan fine oak as you said you liked the dalmore. Personally i do not rate the macallan fine oak very highly but there sherry wood is not called the Rolls Royce of malts for nothing. I am certain the macallan will be available at the airport.

Incidentally The Whisky Shop can sometimes be a bit expensive just depends on which whisky you are after.

Gary
Pug-Nose

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Talisker offer is tempting! But it is not that expensive where I live either, so I think I will buy a more luxurious whisky Embarassed
But the Chivas Royal Salute 21 y.o is listed at 60£ in the duty free shop. Thats more than half the price than here in Norway. And it is a whisky that I would not buy in Norway(because of the price).

I also found a new award site: http://www.whiskymag.com/awards/wwa/best_single_malt.php
Here, the Old Pulteney 21 really is up with the stars.
I will phone the duty free shop in Edinburg (she is landing and taking off from here) and ask about the whiskies you have recommended.

P.S: Does any of you have something to say about the Chivas? I think I have enough alternatives when this also is on my list Rolling Eyes
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pug Nose and welcome to the forum.

The Chivas Royal Salute 21is a highly rated blended whisky which i could recommend and £60 is a very good price.

There is some good info on this page:
http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/shop/product/5/4567/Royal-Salute-21-Year-Old.htm

William
Pug-Nose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She came home with the Glenmorangie Traditional. http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/glenmorangie/whisky4406.html

I`m looking forward to try it out!
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pug-Nose wrote:
She came home with the Glenmorangie Traditional. I`m looking forward to try it out!
A good choice i am sure you will enjoy it.

William
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: