www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Famous Grouse Black

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Famous Grouse Black

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: The Famous Grouse Black Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i was looking for some info on The Famous Grouse Black and stumbled across the forum. There seems to be a lack of info on this whisky.

Has anyone had it? What is the Islay whisky in it anyone know? Is it any good or would I be as well buying a bottle of Black Bottle at £9.99.

Trevor

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor

I have heard that the Islay whisky in the blend is Bunnahabhain and i have also heard that the Famous Grouse Black is a quite heavily peated blend. As Bunnahabhain is not normally very heavily peated it has cast doubt on whether is actually Bunny in the blend but a couple of people have told me that is whats in it.

I fancy trying it myself, has it reached the UK yet? If so, how much is it? Does it compete with the Black Bottle price of around £10

Andy
John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor and welcome to the forum.

What Andy has already said is pretty much what i have heard but i cant confirm it as i havent had any Famous Grouse Black yet. There does seem to be a lack of info on it even on the Famous Grouse site last time i looked. It is supposed to be an affordable whisky for those who like Islay whisky so i would guess it would have to be in the Black Bottle price range as it would be competing against it but on the other hand i couldnt see it being any cheaper than their standard Grouse which is normally around £12.

I havent seen it available yet here in the UK, have you seen it anywhere?

John
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I havent seen it on general release here in the UK as yet but i have seen it available in travel retail outlets. You can purchase it direct from th Famous Grouse website, they are asking £19 for a 70cl bottle.

The tasting notes from the Grouse website are:

"At first taste you'll be surprised by the rich flavoursome smoky whisky influence of the peated malt whiskies, then you'll experience the trademark smoothness of The Famous Grouse. The finish is long, smoky. aromatic and a just reward for embracing the darker side of Scotland's Favourite Whisky."

The main markets for Black Grouse are Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, South Africa, Estonia, The Netherlands, Germany and Global travel retail. I dont know if it will ever be generally available here.

I did see a 1 litre bottle available in the Stenaline Stranraer to Belfast ferry last week for only £15.99 which is a pretty good deal for a litre. I regret not picking it up now, hopefully they still have it next time i travel.

William
Trevor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, and thanks for your replys.

Andy you may be right about Bunnahabhain being a part of the blend as i have found it mentioned in a few places online now.

John i have only seen it in travel retail shops as William mentions. William that does seem a good price for 1 litre, i saw it for £18 for 1 litre at an airport shop and thanks for the tasting notes.

Trevor
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sainsburys now have this and at an introductory offer price of £13.99 for the 70cl bottle.

Andy M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: