www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Forty Creek Whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Forty Creek Whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Forty Creek Whisky Reply with quote

This weekend I'm going to an Open House at Forty Creek Whisky Distillery in Grimsby, Ontario, Canada about 30 minutes from my home. I'm also going to pick up my selected numbered bottle, pre-ordered of Port Wood Reserve Whisky.

http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/Product%20pages/port_wood.html

I'm also attending a seminar there Saturday afternoon.

Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds lke it will be a good day. I am not familiar with there whisky but just had a look in the Whisky Bibble and Jim Murray rate the Forty Creek Port Wood Reserve pretty highly. Just had a browse on the Forty Creek web site also, i hope this Lot of Port Wood Reserve is as good as the last Lot, enjoy.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Forty Creek available this side of the water, i dont recall ever seeing it, sounds interesting though,enjoy your visit Quaich1
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my visit to Forty Creek distillery this afternoon, l will be attending the following seminar and tasting as the distillery describes it:

Forty Creek Tasting Flight
"Discover how grain selection, distillation method, type and char level of barrels, length of ageing and finishing are all components that impact the taste profile of a Canadian whisky. Experience the diversity of taste profiles, and complexity that can be achieved with a variety of ageing techniques. This flighted, tutored tasting will highlight the unique assets and differences between each Forty Creek expression while showcasing the house style of John Hall, whisky maker. Be the first to taste 2 new sneak previews of newly released Forty Creek whiskies. Tasting flight includes: Forty Creek Barrel Select, NEW Copper Pot, Double Barrel, Confederation Oak and Port Wood Reserve".

I'll report back on how the event goes tonight when I return.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a brief write-up on the whisky maker of Forty Creek distillery, John Hall..

http://fortycreekwhisky.com/john_hall_Wky_Maker.html
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite an indepth visit, enjoy

Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant M wrote:
Is Forty Creek available this side of the water, i dont recall ever seeing it, sounds interesting though,enjoy your visit Quaich1
Grant in the where to buy section of the Forty Creek web site it says
Quote:
International
Forty Creek Barrel Select is only available in Canada and the USA at this time.

So we wont see it here unless someone like TWE acquires a few bottles.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned from the vertical flight tasting of 5 Forty Creek whiskies involving the disitllery founder and whisky maker of Forty Creek, John Hall. What a delightful man and great presenter. He also signed a numbered bottle for me that I pre-ordered of Forty Creek Port Wood Reserve, numbered 107 of 6000 bottles total. The numbered 6000 bottles are all spoken for already. Canadian whisky is BACK in full force.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it has been a good day. I wonder if Forty Creek will be finding its way over here anytime soon as it does seem to be getting itself noticed.

Did they give any figures about what the percentages of grains that go into the mash bill, i.e how much corn, barley and rye?
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just partly answered my own question by looking on the Forty Creek web site. The rye, barley and corn are distilled separately in small batches then matured separately for 6 to 10 years and then they bring them together for a further period of maturation.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Just partly answered my own question by looking on the Forty Creek web site. The rye, barley and corn are distilled separately in small batches then matured separately for 6 to 10 years and then they bring them together for a further period of maturation.

John Hall noted for example that the Forty Creek Copper Pot product has more rye and less barley than the Forty Creek Barrel Select. A snippet from a 2011 article about John includes this sentence:

"In essence Mr. Hall created what he calls his "Meritage". His own unique blend of whisky built upon a foundation of three grains each distilled in small copper pot stills, aged in its own barrels, then all three blended together and married in John's own Sherry Casks".
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Sounds like it has been a good day. I wonder if Forty Creek will be finding its way over here anytime soon as it does seem to be getting itself noticed.

Did they give any figures about what the percentages of grains that go into the mash bill, i.e how much corn, barley and rye?

Outside Canada, It's getting a lot of action in the USA, especially Texas. I think it's only a matter of time before it finds a conduit in Europe, especially with all the attention the distillery has garnered from Jim Murray and Michael Jackson.

William, John told me today directly that he has 100,000 barrels maturing in various warehouses locally with approximately 270 bottles estimated per barrel. There's a tidbit that is not likely common knowledge.

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So could it be classed as a Canadian rye, i think it has to have 51% rye in the mix to be rye whisky or have i got that wrong. Or is it a a premium Canadian blended whisky.

I am not that familiar with Canadian whisky but it is great to hear about companies like this producing something unique and interesting, hopefully someone will import some over here.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair wrote:
So could it be classed as a Canadian rye, i think it has to have 51% rye in the mix to be rye whisky or have i got that wrong. Or is it a a premium Canadian blended whisky.

I am not that familiar with Canadian whisky but it is great to hear about companies like this producing something unique and interesting, hopefully someone will import some over here.

Alistair, Forty Creek is classed as Canadian blended whisky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Canadian Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: