www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Budget - Whisky Tax Increase

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Budget - Whisky Tax Increase

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 852
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: The Budget - Whisky Tax Increase Reply with quote

As i am sure you all heard yesterday that the Chancellor Alistair Darling announced a steep rise in duty on Whisky. 55p increase on a 70cl bottle of 40% ABV and this is to be followed by further 2% above inflation increases over the next four years. This increase will obviously be proportionally more for the cask strength whisky.

Today Alistair Darling has been defending his Budget against complaints that the Scotch whisky industry would be hard hit by this rise. Darling said increased taxes on alcohol - including 4p on a pint of beer, 3p on a litre of cider and 14p on a bottle of wine - had helped him put more money into getting children out of poverty and boosting winter fuel payments for pensioners.

Darling rejected claims that this increase in duty would be damaging to the industry now. He said: "Most of its production goes to export - it is an extremely successful exporter - and what you pay in duty depends on what the country you are exporting into chooses to charge. That's not going to be affected by what we are doing."

SNP Finance Minister John Swinney said whisky was already at a disadvantage compared with other forms of alcohol and called for taxes to be levied according to the alcohol content of drinks. He also said: "The signal he has given to other countries is they can exercise punitive taxation on whisky which makes it an obstacle to gaining entry to other markets."

John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 13 Nov 2006
Posts: 1382
Location: Ayrshire - Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I think this increase will certainly harm Scotland's economy in a bid to prop up UK finances. The demand for Scotch whisky in the UK is certain to fall due to this increase, and this is bound to cause uncertainty over the future of workers in Scotland who rely on the whisky industry for their livelihoods. Coincidental that this first increase in 10 years by the Labour party comes at a time when they are not the ruling party in Scotland. Perhaps i have a bad mind but it is not much of a stretch of the imagination to think this is a political move to try and make the ruling Scottish National Party look bad by raising tax knowing it will cause job losses in Scotland.

I am aware taxes have to be raised from somewhere but should they not be raised fairly. By this i mean why does he hit spirits harder than other drinks. For example at current rates the duty equalised on a litre of pure alcohol is

Whisky = £21.35
Beer = £14.96
Still Cider @ 7.5% = £3.85
Still Wine @ 15% = £12.95

This is simply an unfair tax when compared to the tax on the likes of cider. I am aware Alistair Darling stated that this increase has nothing to do with the binge drinking problem in the UK today. Perhaps Darling and his government should be tackling this problem by raising taxes on the beer and alcho pops which are a problem to todays society and at the same time taxing all alcohol equally instead of targeting the whisky industry and using it as a cash cow.

Alastair
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 27 Sep 2006
Posts: 1325

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you are saying Alastair, taxes have to be raised to run the country but they should be raised fairly. It is wrong that spirits are taxed so much more than wine, cider and beer. From the lets sort out the UK binge drinking problem point of view whisky and other spirits are not the problem, i would think it is the beer and alco pops that are the problem so why is there not a huge hike in the taxes on them, this would help with the binge drinking and raise taxes, all good for the UK.

Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 120
Location: Dufftown, Speyside, Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Budget - Whisky Tax Increase Reply with quote

John wrote:
As i am sure you all heard yesterday that the Chancellor Alistair Darling announced a steep rise in duty on Whisky. 55p increase on a 70cl bottle of 40% ABV and this is to be followed by further 2% above inflation increases over the next four years. This increase will obviously be proportionally more for the cask strength whisky.

Today Alistair Darling has been defending his Budget against complaints that the Scotch whisky industry would be hard hit by this rise. Darling said increased taxes on alcohol - including 4p on a pint of beer, 3p on a litre of cider and 14p on a bottle of wine - had helped him put more money into getting children out of poverty and boosting winter fuel payments for pensioners.

Darling rejected claims that this increase in duty would be damaging to the industry now. He said: "Most of its production goes to export - it is an extremely successful exporter - and what you pay in duty depends on what the country you are exporting into chooses to charge. That's not going to be affected by what we are doing."

SNP Finance Minister John Swinney said whisky was already at a disadvantage compared with other forms of alcohol and called for taxes to be levied according to the alcohol content of drinks. He also said: "The signal he has given to other countries is they can exercise punitive taxation on whisky which makes it an obstacle to gaining entry to other markets."

John


Tell you what John, HE'S NOT MY DARLING ! !
Just back from Belgium where people tell again and again that malts are cheaper in Europe "so why go to Scotland" to buy a couple bottles. It'll harm our tourism, you'll see.
Slainte Rene
_________________
Ardbeg 4 ever
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
John
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 852
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Budget - Whisky Tax Increase Reply with quote

islayonspey wrote:
Tell you what John, HE'S NOT MY DARLING ! !
Just back from Belgium where people tell again and again that malts are cheaper in Europe "so why go to Scotland" to buy a couple bottles. It'll harm our tourism, you'll see.
Slainte Rene
LOL Rene, he is no DARLING of mine either. As you and Alastair say this increase is bound to harm the people in Scotland who rely on the whisky industry for their livelihoods including as you say Rene, the tourist industry.

John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we will notice the increase much at the moment it is in 4 years time we will be wondering when did whisky suddenly get so expensive. The 2% above inflation increase over the next four years we will be when we notice a big difference.

Andy M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hugh
Member
Member


Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
I dont think we will notice the increase much at the moment it is in 4 years time we will be wondering when did whisky suddenly get so expensive. The 2% above inflation increase over the next four years we will be when we notice a big difference.

Andy M
You are right Andy it doesnt seem like a big increase but it is over 4 years.

Hugh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eric
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 32
Location: NL

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rising prices for grain and the growing demand for good whisky from India and China i expect the prices will get higher in the not so far future too.Exciselevel is not the only worry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2018 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.