www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - When Did The Whisky Bottle Size Change

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
When Did The Whisky Bottle Size Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: When Did The Whisky Bottle Size Change Reply with quote

Hi

Apologies if this has been answered before but i have searched through the site, in fact i have searched google and cannot find an answer.

Anyway if someone could tell me when did the whisky bottle size in the UK/Europe change from 750ml to 700ml. The reason i ask is i have recently started dabbling in collecting whisky and it would be handy to know when the bottle size changed as it can help with aging/valuing a bottle whisky.

Thanks

Murray

Murray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also meant to ask does anyone know when they switched from Proof to ABV?

Thanks

Murray
John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murray, and welcome to the forum

In the UK up until 1980 standard size bottles were 26 2/3 flozs, they then changed to 750ml in 1980.

About 1991/1992 the EEC (or EU as they call it now) changed the standard size from 750ml to 700ml.

John
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray wrote:
I also meant to ask does anyone know when they switched from Proof to ABV?

Thanks

Murray

Hi Murray

Up until January 1st 1980 the UK used the Sikes system of measuring the proof strength of spirits, the Sikes system had been used in Britain for 162 years.

Like other EEC countries they replaced the Sikes system with the OIML system (International Organisation of Legal Metrology). The OIML system measures alcoholic strength as a Percentage of Alcohol by Volume (%ABV) at a temperature of 20 degrees C.

William
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murray

I know certain bottles can be aged from the markings on the bottles but a lot of the time the markings only mean something to the distillery that produced the bottle. They where put on the bottles for by the bottler for quality control reasons.

It can sometimes be worthwhile contacting the distillery the bottle is from, remember to give them the full details of the bottle you have, including any markings on the glass and everything it says on the label. You may be surprised how helpful some of them can be they may even be able to tell you to the exact day how old the bottle is.

Glenmorangie/Ardbeg/Broxburn Bottles
A good example of bottling codes found on malt whisky bottles are those found on whiskies bottled by Glenmorangie and their Broxburn bottling plant. The bottling codes they use can be easily interpreted.

For example the bottle of Ardbeg 10 which I have opened at the moment has the code very faintly engraved into the glass near the bottom of the bottle, which is quite hard to see after a few drams.
The code is: L7 256 21:15 4ML
This code translated means it was bottled in the year 2007 on the 256th day at 9.15pm that day. 4ML is the code for Ardbeg.

Diageo Bottles
Diageo has a similar and easy system for example the bottle of Talisker 10 I have open has the following code printed just above the rear label on the glass.
The code is: L7302CM000
This code translated means it was bottled in the year 2007 on the 302nd day and it is a Classic Malt. There is another line of numbers underneath this code which I am sure means something to Diageo but means nothing to me, but you can at least determine the date of bottling by yourself.

As I said it is always worth contacting the distillery as most, especially the smaller distilleries can be quite helpful.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but I hope it helps you.

Andy M
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

I noticed these codes on my Diageo bottles before but never paid them much attention and i have only just noticed the code on my Ardbeg bottles now you pointed it out. You have now got me sitting here checking codes on bottles. I noticed The Glenlivet clearly prints the date and time on the rear label.

Unfortunately i havent found any bottles on my shelf which where bottled on a significant date which could make it collectable such as being bottled January 1st 2000.

McKay

islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: When Did The Whisky Bottle Size Change Reply with quote

Murray wrote:
Hi
Apologies if this has been answered before but i have searched through the site, in fact i have searched google and cannot find an answer.
Anyway if someone could tell me when did the whisky bottle size in the UK/Europe change from 750ml to 700ml. The reason i ask is i have recently started dabbling in collecting whisky and it would be handy to know when the bottle size changed as it can help with aging/valuing a bottle whisky.
Thanks Murray

Hi,
Another Forum had the same question. Apparently the change took place in 1994. See below;

But still keeps puzzling me the change of 750ml to 700ml for European countries regarding strong liquor. 1 Litre size can be explained that for most countries 1 litre is the maximum allowable size (Including 3x333 ml and 5x200 ml). The same goes for the 1.14L for Canada. 750 ml is derived probably from the 26 fl.oz. from the imperialists. 750 ml and 1 L are commonly used for (strong) wine and large beerbottles in Europe. Then why was the bottle size for strong liquor changed in 1994 from 750 ml to 700 ml? (That, Marvin, is the right question. Program terminated.) Has this something to do with limiting export to, for example the US (some kind of EU law)?

Slainte Rene
Murray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome and detailed answers, just the info i was looking for. Just a little uncertain now whether the bottle size change happened in 1991/1992 or in 1994 but at least i have a rough idea now.

Thanks again Very Happy

Murray
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray wrote:
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome and detailed answers, just the info i was looking for. Just a little uncertain now whether the bottle size change happened in 1991/1992 or in 1994 but at least i have a rough idea now.

Thanks again Very Happy

Murray

Murray, John was correct by saying 1992.

I knew i had read it somewhere and i have just checked. I have a book "MacLean's Miscellany of Whisky" by Charles Maclean he states in it that in 1992 bottle sizes were standardised throughout the EU at 700ml.

Andy M
Murray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, just what i wanted to know.

Murray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: