www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The Whisky Dream On TV

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Whisky Dream On TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: The Whisky Dream On TV Reply with quote

You may want to set your video for this:

BBC 2 Scotland are showing a program :- The Whisky Dream
It is on tonight Tue 15 Jan, 10:00 pm - 10:30 pm

When two English wine merchants joined forces with two Gaelic-speaking islanders for a Scotch Whisky Adventure.

What it says about it on the BBC2 website:
Quote:
This new documentary takes a side-ways look at one of Scotland's highest profile industries, Scotch whisky production.

The Whisky Dream, made by Demus Productions, is a wry look at the amazing tale of two English wine merchants Mark and Mary Reynier, who together with Gaelic speaking islanders Jim McEwan and Duncan MacGillivray, embarked on a venture some whisky purists dubbed "a hair-brained scheme'.

In December 2000, eccentric vintner Mark Reynier overcame astonishing odds to raise the £7.5million needed to buy Bruichladdich, one of the world's last 19th Century malt whisky distilleries. Aiming to recreate a malt whisky which "died' with American Prohibition in 1929, they have further "stirred the pot' in the whisky industry by, controversially, using a wide variety of wine casks to mature the spirit.

The Whisky Dream witnesses through their eyes the birth of the first new Scottish single malt for a decade, debunks some whisky mythology and goes behind the marketing hype to uncover the art of the master blender. MD of the company Mary Reynier says: "We've created something new, brought into the world something that's never been seen:And we've created it ourselves."?

Keith

islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: The Whisky Dream On TV 2 nite Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
You may want to set your video for this:
BBC 2 Scotland are showing a program :- The Whisky Dream
It is on tonight Tue 15 Jan, 10:00 pm - 10:30 pm

When two English wine merchants joined forces with two Gaelic-speaking islanders for a Scotch Whisky Adventure.
What it says about it on the BBC2 website:
Quote:
This new documentary takes a side-ways look at one of Scotland's highest profile industries, Scotch whisky production.
The Whisky Dream, made by Demus Productions, is a wry look at the amazing tale of two English wine merchants Mark and Mary Reynier, who together with Gaelic speaking islanders Jim McEwan and Duncan MacGillivray, embarked on a venture some whisky purists dubbed "a hair-brained scheme'.
In December 2000, eccentric vintner Mark Reynier overcame astonishing odds to raise the £7.5million needed to buy Bruichladdich, one of the world's last 19th Century malt whisky distilleries. Aiming to recreate a malt whisky which "died' with American Prohibition in 1929, they have further "stirred the pot' in the whisky industry by, controversially, using a wide variety of wine casks to mature the spirit.
The Whisky Dream witnesses through their eyes the birth of the first new Scottish single malt for a decade, debunks some whisky mythology and goes behind the marketing hype to uncover the art of the master blender. MD of the company Mary Reynier says: "We've created something new, brought into the world something that's never been seen:And we've created it ourselves."?

Keith

Hi Keith,
I remember Laddie did a film about 2-3 years ago named " 4 man and a dram" or something, that was good too.
It looks like they "The Laddie Boys" are enjoying them selves on Islay.
Rene
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know Kieth, i am heading out tonight so i will set the video recorder.

Andy M
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith i will dertainly tune in to this tonight.

John
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on this, it looks like it will be good.

Mark
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Whisky Dream On TV 2 nite Reply with quote

They deserve the success they are now seeing at Bruichladdich as it was a bit of a bumpy ride to get to where they are today. Long may there success continue.

If you cant catch the program on BBC2 tonight and you are interested in the Bruichladdich story you may enjoy reading this piece By Jim Gilchrist at The Scotsman:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/features/Meet-the-drambusters.3671267.jp

William

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam i missed it. Tried to find it on that BBC iPlayer thingy but it doesnt seem to be available.

McKay
Mal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the show on Tuesday night, it was very good. Wish it had been longer and i wish i had taped it now as i would have watched it again.

Mal
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Whisky Dream On TV 2 nite Reply with quote

William wrote:
If you cant catch the program on BBC2 tonight and you are interested in the Bruichladdich story you may enjoy reading this piece By Jim Gilchrist at The Scotsman:

William

I missed it also but the article William posted a link to is an interesting read.

I wonder if Bruichladdich will post a video of the program on there site or on something like youtube.

Alastair
islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Whisky Dream On TV 2 nite Reply with quote

Alastair wrote:
William wrote:

William

I missed it also but the article William posted a link to is an interesting read.
I wonder if Bruichladdich will post a video of the program on there site or on something like youtube.
Alastair

Hi Alastair, William,
a lovely and interesting story about the men behind Bruichladdich. I still like the original Laddies, not so much the enhanced verious of different wood finishes. Confused
Altough the Port Charlotte (bloodtub) is great at cask strength !! Top Malt
Slainte Rene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: