www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Port Ellen 11th release

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Port Ellen 11th release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Port Ellen 11th release Reply with quote

I've recently been lucky enough to have the opportunity to purchase the 11th release of Port Ellen through a contact. However, i'm not sure if the price it's being offered at is reasonable, or has been inflated to take account of the prices it's currently fetching on ebay and the like.

Does anyone have any idea of the true market value of something like this? Did anyone manage to get a bottle on release and if so, what did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking) To be perfectly honest, i'm not interested in collecting it - i'd rather save it for a special occassion and drink it instead.

Thanks,

JMW

McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt get one myself but the RRP when it was released was £300

www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/portellen32yearold.htm

Not sure what you would pay now but i would think it may be a couple of hundred more due to the popularity and demand for Port Ellen
Kava
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this went for £300 when it was released, that is if you could get hold of a bottle.
JMW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Mckay and Kava.

Unfortunately I didn't end up getting my hands on a bottle - which is a shame as i've heard that it was a particularly good one this year.

Has anyone heard any more on the rumours that Diageo have finally exhausted their supply of PE? They've been flying about for years but seem to have come back with a bit more intensity this year.
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard it said that Diageo sold off most of its stocks of Port Ellen in the 1980's but have never had it confirmed how much they actually kept, i have only ever heard rumours that they didnt keep very much.

I think when they do exhaust there stocks of PE they will let us know it is a final release and probably ramp the price up. I wouldnt be surprised in the future if they sourced stock from independents who had bought it from them in the 1980's
JMW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point - I can see it on the shelves (or not, as has come to be the case) in a super-premium presentation box with 'Final Edition' written all over it in big gold letters.

It wouldn't surprise me if they start looking to buy back stock from the independents - certainly it has been done in the past and with the prices an OB can command over an indy release, it makes perfect sense. However, if I were an IB, i wouldn't be keen to let it go for any price...

Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the soaring popularity of single malt now, independents will be finding it increasingly difficult to get hold of stock of any popular whisky in the future so keeping diageo sweet by selling them back stock could be a good move for any indie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Collectables & Whisky Auction Listings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: