www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Highest Prices For Barley In 10 Years

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Highest Prices For Barley In 10 Years

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Highest Prices For Barley In 10 Years Reply with quote

Spotted this in the Scotsman newspaper:
Quote:
The whisky industry is paying its highest prices for barley in ten years, according to the National Farmers Union of Scotland. Prices vary, but the highest is reported to be £200 a tonne. Cereals chairman John Picken said farmers were receiving a price for malting barley closer to what they had long been calling for. Farmers favouring food crops had reduced the barley acreage to a 30-year low.

I wonder if it will have much of an impact on whisky prices now or in the near future Crying or Very sad . As if the big companies need an excuse to increase whisky prices.

Bill

islayonspey
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Highest Prices For Barley In 10 Years Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Spotted this in the Scotsman newspaper:
Quote:
The whisky industry is paying its highest prices for barley in ten years, according to the National Farmers Union of Scotland. Prices vary, but the highest is reported to be £200 a tonne. Cereals chairman John Picken said farmers were receiving a price for malting barley closer to what they had long been calling for. Farmers favouring food crops had reduced the barley acreage to a 30-year low.

I wonder if it will have much of an impact on whisky prices now or in the near future Crying or Very sad . As if the big companies need an excuse to increase whisky prices.
Bill

Hi Bill,
Living on Speyside, I've seen the barley around us in a dismal state, too much rain and wind and I'm not surpriced that the price per tonne is high. It's bad for the whisky industry but we hope that farmers will injoy their "windfall" and plant more next year, although I can't see prices of whiskies coming done in the future ! ! Slainte
Rene
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: