www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Feis Ile 2011

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Feis Ile 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Feis Ile 2011 Reply with quote

The dates for this years festival are 21st to 28th May 2011.

So who will all be visiting the island then, and where abous will you be staying?

Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to go to this but i would think i would be way too late to find decent priced accommodation on Islay for this year. JAB whats the score with transport on Islay during the festival, if i was to go to it some time i certainly wouldnt want to take a car, so is there public transport or does each distillery organise buses or something during their own open day.
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there are still alot of cottages left that could be booked during the festival, check out www.islayinfo.com.

As for getting around the island i would recomend taking the car if there are a few of you take turns at driving. alternativly you can hire a car there.

As for public transport there are bus's and post bus's that operate on the island but they are limited to around every hour or so. but you can use these to get around ok (apart from a sunday, as even less)

Another option is you could hire a taxi for single trips or even for the day but these have to be booked at least a few weeks in advance during the festival.

As for the distillerys offering transport, the only one that does this is caol ila and this is only from ballygarnt to the distillery, this is to stop congestion in the didtillery so they do a minbus shuttle service.
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAB do you think it is possible to come for the week and use the buses to get to and from each distillery as i just wouldnt consider taking a car if i intend to drink and dont see the point in going if i cant sample the whisky at each distillery.
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is Blakey are you going to get a feis ile bottle from each distillery, if so you need to be there early as Q's form quickly. this should be possible by bus and can be at distillerys before 9am.

Bruichladdich - bus stop here.
Bowmore - bus stop here
Caol ila - bus to ballygrant then shuttle service to distillery
Ardbeg - bus stop here
Laphroaig - bus stop here
Lagavulin - bis stop here

Bunnahabhain / kilchoman - the bus does not go up this road, it is a few miles from where the bus will drop you off, but with lots of cars going to the distillery it will be easy to hitch and get a lift. or the other alternative is to get a taxi for this day!

A pdf of the current bus time table is here - http://www.islayinfo.com/downloads/islaybustimetable.pdf

Taxi/Minibus:
Carol MacDonald Tel: 01496 302155 Mobile: 07775782155 or email at cmd2155@aol.com
Fiona's Taxis Tel: 01496 302622 Mobile: 07808303200
Lamont'sTaxis Tel: 01496 810449 Mobile: 07899756159
Rhinns Taxi Hire is available online at www.islaytaxis.com. Tel: 01496 850170 Mobile: 07771 921157 and email at info@islaytaxis.com (RECOMENDED)

Car hire:
D & N MacKenzie:
Tel: +44 (0)1496 302 300, Fax:01496 302324 or web at www.carhireonislay.co.uk
Islay Car Hire
Tel: +44 (0)1496 810 544, email at info@islaycarhire.com or book and pay online at www.islaycarhire.com

Hope this helps with planning you trip to islay!
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JAB, great info. I wouldnt be after all the feis ile bottles from each distillery but would certainly like to pick up a couple of bottles but this would all depend on whether i fly to Islay or not as you cant put bottles in your carry on luggage. I assume you can buy the bottle and they would post it on for you. Another question is where on the island would you recommend to base yourself for the festival, preferably somewhere maybe with a pub/restaurant for food and an evening dram.

JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you shouldnt have a problem getting all of the bottles as long as you are there for around 9am (cant legally sell it untill 10am)

As for flying where abouts do you stay, i am personally taking the car, but if you left yours at the ferry terminal will be alot easier as i think the limit for carry on for the plane is only a few bottles each!

Not to sure wot each distillerys policey is on shipping again depends on where you stay?
But would be cheaper to buy and take with you.

I will be staying in Portnahaven (7 miles to the next village), but just depends on your budget and the avalibility when booking.

Would have to say Bowmore if you can find a cottage / b&b / hotel (www.islayinfo.com) you have the loch side hotel with duffys bar that stock a very large selection of whiskies, you also have another 2 hotels here with an indian, chinese take away, cottage restraunt with a CoOp in the village also, plus fairly central for bus travel!
And not to mention Bowmore distillery!!

Another alternative would be port ellen, (one of the ports the ferry comes into) only one hotel here but with lots of b&* and cottages to rent, also has a CoOp and an indian. You can find 2 pubs here one being in the hotel (white hart) and also the cyber cafe if you require internet access!

Or you have Port charlotte, with the port charlotte hotel and lochindahl hotel, both serve food, andboth have a vast selection of single malts. also b&* and cottages to rent, with a local shop
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again JAB for the great info, very helpful. I have been looking into coming for the festival but i think i will give it a miss this year as flights and even buses seem to be booked up for the times i was looking at and i tried some hotels and they are pretty much booked. i am now considering going in the summer and getting one of those island hopping ferry tickets and i can maybe take in other distilleries also. Although i am not sure when most of the Islay distilleries have there maintenance shutdown and for how long, i would assume this would be during the summer. I could maybe do a bit of hillwalking and cycling if i went in the summer although i may have to get in in some pratice as i havent done much hillwalking for a few years.
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus shouldnt be fully booked, as when one is full they put on another, but the flights will be.
As for the hotels sometimes they are over priced so would recomend a cottage!

Going during the summer it is also good, most distillerys only shut down if there water suppy drys up and this normally happens around augest! but they still do tours during this time.

As for cycling you can hire bikes from a few places on islay and there are alot of good walking routess on to.

If your a whisky lover feis ile is def the time of year to go!
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking now is to try do a summer break and aim for next years festival when i can have my choice of travel, accomaodation etc. When do they announce the dates for next year or perhaps they already know them.
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will be approx same dates, last saturday / sunday in may normally the festival ends!
Blakey
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers JAB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: