www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - What is the best 15 year-old malt?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
What is the best 15 year-old malt?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best 15 year-old malt?
Balvenie Single Cask
20%
 20%  [ 87 ]
Bowmore Darkest
7%
 7%  [ 30 ]
Bowmore Mariner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dalmore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dalwhinnie
9%
 9%  [ 38 ]
Glenfarclas
26%
 26%  [ 110 ]
Glenfiddich Solera
22%
 22%  [ 93 ]
Glenlivet
2%
 2%  [ 12 ]
Longmorn
10%
 10%  [ 46 ]
Macallan Fine Oak
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Johnnie Walker Green Label
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 422

SkyeIslay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: What is the best 15 year-old malt? Reply with quote

I didn't see a poll for the favourite 15 year-old whisky so I thought I'd create one. Admittedly the choice isn't as wide as the 10, 12 or 18 year-old categories but there's still enough great 15 year-olds. Since my favourite Laphroaig 15 is discontinued, I'm going with the excellent Glenfiddich Solera - arguably the best of the core Glenfiddich range in my opinion.

Looking forward to your answers - hope I haven't missed any obvious front-running candidates!

Cheers,

Stephen

JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definately have to be the Bowmore 15 yo Darkest!

But you have missed the Bowmore 15yo Mariner!
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some in the list I haven't had but my favourite 15 year-old out of the ones I've tried is Dalwhinnie. Where is it on the list? Razz
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all Very Happy but if i was to express a preference out of this lot it would be either the Glenfarclas or the Balvenie Single Barrel. A few missing form the poll that come to mind are Glenlivet, Dalwhinnie, Johnnie Walker Green Label and Longmorn
John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen i have added a few more options to the poll, hope you dont mind, unfortunately the polls are limited to 10 options so i was unable to add the Johnnie Walker Green Label but i think i got the rest of the suggestions made. I think i wiil leave this technical stuff to William next time as i was panicing for a bit thinking i had screwed the poll up when i was editing it and adding the extra options. Confused

Anyway, I am with you Mac, i enjoy them all but the Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Longmorn and the Balvenie stand out for me.
Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You done a great job John, i was just watching the poll gradually change and wondered what was going on and now realize you were editing it, you can pour yourself a drink now. Smile

You realize that there is a decent selection of 15 year old whiskies available when you see them in a list like this, i would not say no to any of them. Pity they stopped producing the Laphroaig 15, i always thought there was room in the market place for both the Laphroaig 15 & 18 year olds.

John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samson, its funny you mention the Laphroaig 15, i had a couple of them this evening from my last remainig bottle. Definitely a bottle i will miss.
SkyeIslay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the changes John, for some reason I was only allowed 6 poll entries. Though Alex I have to admit I completely forgot about Dalwhinnie! Embarassed I agree it is a quality dram, though I still prefer the Glenfiddich. And to be honest I didn't include the Glenlivet 15 because it's relatively disappointing by Glenlivet's standards.

JAB how is Bowmore Mariner? Smokier than the Darkest I assume?
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samson wrote:
Pity they stopped producing the Laphroaig 15, i always thought there was room in the market place for both the Laphroaig 15 & 18 year olds.

I think Laphroaig may have been worried that the 18 would be left on the shelf in favour of the what was much less expensive 15 year old. 3 years older and about double the price, ok 5% higher abv. The Laphroaig 18 is not one i buy where i often bought the 15.

As far as the poll goes i would drink all of the whiskies listed just depends on my mood and the ocassion which one i would drink. As sherried malts go Glenfarclas is probably the best value quality sherried malt out there especially when compared to the prices of Macallan and the Glenfarclas 15 is an excellent example IMO.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, i am not sure what way you where trying to edit, anyway i have increased the poll options limit to 20 which should be enough for most polls. Also added the Johnnie Walker Green Label for any JW fans to vote for.
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAB is the Bowmore Mariner any good, it is exclusive to duty free i think, unless they put it on general release. Would i be right in thinking it is an older version of the 12 and not a special cask finish or anything like that.
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Bowmore mariner is a good dram, but the darkest is still my favourite.
You can get it from duty free, the distillery its self and from TWE.

It is hard to say if it is smokyer than the darkest as i have never drank them side by side

SkyeIslay
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info JAB - I'll look out for the Mariner next time I fly. I already quite like the Darkest, it's probably my second favourite from the list after Glenfiddich. I see the Balvenie and Glenfarclas are running away with it - I was expecting this poll to be quite close given that there are none of the big three Islay names or Highland Park/Talisker as favourites.

I'm surprised the Dalmore and Macallan options haven'tt got any votes yet - I prefer Dalmore to Glenfarclas for example, and the Macallan is the best from the Fine Oak range.
Carson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Macallan Fine Oak 15 is very good indeed but over priced in my opinion and many others will think the same.

Personally i think the Dalmore is a poor whisky and not one i would ever buy again, i dont really rate much of the Dalmore range very highly at all. Having said that some of there older more expensive vintage stuff is excellent, i had a bottle of Dalmore vintage 1981 and it was superb.
Kenny M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money the Glenfiddich Solera, Dalwhinnie and Glenlivet are great value quality malts and often found on offer in the big supermarkets so probably the one i drink most.

For a few pound more the Macallan FO, Longmorn, Balvenie, Bowmore Darkest and Glenfarclas are all very good also. I particularly enjoy the Balvenie and Glenfarclas 15.

Basically i enjoy most of them. Cant comment on the Bowmore Mariner, i have never tried it, i have looked at it in the past in airport shops but i must say i was put off by Jim Murrays comments on it in the Whisky Bible. Never thought much of the Dalmore 15 maybe a wee bit too much of the colouring here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: