www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Naive 20-something in need of advice...

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Naive 20-something in need of advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrandom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Naive 20-something in need of advice... Reply with quote

Hello, Christmas is here and I'm looking to get a bottle of single malt for my dad.
Here are some things I know about him:-
-He's very much Scottish
-41 years of age(ish. I really should know his age!!! lol)
-He likes single malt
-Ex-MOD
-He has, on more than one occasion, said his favourite is Bruichladdich however...

I've never got him a decent Christmas present so I want it to be special. Maybe an old bottle(if that's good)
I've got a budget of £50 but I have a very small amount of room for negotiation on that budget Wink

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few from Bruichladdich which i would recommend that are within your budget are:

Bruichladdich Infinity 3rd Edition which is very good indeed and currently on offer for £39 at The Whisky Exchange.

Bruichladdich 1992 17 Year Old Fino Sherry just over £50 but a very good sherried Laddie

Bruichladdich 16 Year Old Bourbon Cask a very good 100% bourbon cask matured

Or you may even want to consider Port Charlotte which is produced at the Bruichladdich distillery. 2 bottles worth considering are the Port Charlotte PC7 & PC8 they are both around £60 though, but these bottles tend to gain value with time as they are quite limited releases.
rabrandom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! thanks for the reply! Now, as you have read, I'm naive so here come the (hopefully not too irritating) questions
I forgot to mention that he hates blends and he likes a pretty straight forward whiskey no added flavours other than what came from the cask originally. Does this elliminate any of your suggestions, Andy M?

1. If he says hos favorite is Bruichladdich, does this mean he'll rarely like another brand more?
2. What is a bourbon one?
3. What is this port whiskey?
4. What is the sherry whiskey?
5. Feel free to mock/take the mick. I'm quite think skinned. But please do advise as I really want to get him something good!.

Oh! and is older better?
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if he only liked Bruichladdich and not any other malts. Bruch is on Islay so maybe he likes Islay malts.

Bourbon/Port/Sherry are just the type of casks that the whisky is matured in. Whisky is always matured in oak casks and it just depends where the distillery gets them from (america, portugal, spain etc.) although different casks impart different flavours on the malt.

Older isn't necessarily better as oak can tend to have more of an effect than an influence after a long period. Young malts can be quite refreshing but i personally go for anything in the 16 - 24 years range as I feel this is malt at its peak generally
Carson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many whisky drinkers have a favourite distillery and as malt whisky can be an expensive buy many stick to the distillery they know. As Tom says it would be surprising if he only likes malts from the Bruichladdich distillery. There are a number of distilleries that produce malts whisky with a similar style/flavour as Bruichladdich, some are on Islay but there are a few non Islay distilleries that he would probably like also. Other distilleries i think he may like are:

Ardmore
Bowmore (Islay)
Brora
Bruichladdich
Caol Ila (Islay)
Clynelish
Glen Scotia
Highland Park
Oban
Springbank

Having said that the bottles Andy mentions are all very good Bruichladdich whiskies which i wouldnt hesitate to recommend but if you are not sure if he likes sherried whisky then stay away from the Bruichladdich 1992 17 Year Old Fino Sherry
rabrandom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! thanks everyone. This is really helpful advice which I will use!

rabrandom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm finally ready to take the plunge. Are these ones all normal single malts. NOT BLENDED? I got ripped off recently because the bottle didn't say blended anywhere on it.
Also, has anyone tried/known any of these?

Bruichladdich 18 Year Old / 2nd Edition
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-8736.aspx

BRUICHLADDICH 12 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT WHISKY 70CL
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/Single-Malts/Bruichladdich-12-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Whisky-70cl/prod_477.html

BRUICHLADDICH 16 Year Old Cuvee A Lafite Finish
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=1000000000293&src=froogle

BRUICHLADDICH 16 Year Old Cuvee B LaTour Finish
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=1000000000286&src=froogle

Well there's my short-list Please share your thoughts on them!
Tom W
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all single malt whiskies yes, Ive personally never had any of them but would be very grateful is I got one as a gift!
Forbes
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i would choose the Bruichladdich 18 but i am sure you wouldnt go wrong with any of them
Innes
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bruichladdich 18 has had a sweet wine finish so if that is to his taste go for it. My personal choice would have been the Bruichladdich Infinity 3rd Edition which Andy mentioned.
rabrandom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I bought thee 18 year old one so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure he'll love it. Merry Christmas and I hope you all get the wee dram you were hoping for!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: