www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Current Trends and customer wants in single malt scotch

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Current Trends and customer wants in single malt scotch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Current Trends and customer wants in single malt scotch Reply with quote

When I think back 20 years to the trends that existed in single malt whisky, it is clear that the "whisky terrain" has changed an awful lot these days. The types of single malt whisky that folks are looking for in such a huge variety market in my view has changed alot. I for one have been moving more towards integrity single malts produced in Scotland, i.e., at least 46% abv, no color added and non-chillfiltered. I think that part of this relates for me to value for money in terms of the drinking experience and the quality of smell and taste. That is not to say that some lower abv whiskies are substandard but a 40% abv whisky with colorant added and that is chillfiltered just doesn't do it for me.

The other trend which has exploded in recent years of course are the NAS offerings (without age statement). Part of this is no doubt due to dwindling older whiskies in some distilleries and part of this is trying to use advertyising and hype to get high prices for younger whiskies in my view.

A positive trend is the excellent whiskies now being produced by a number of distilleries in Scotland, many of them smaller than the megalithic huge distilleries and promoting integrity single malts or at least NCF and NCA.

What do you see in terms of trends and what motivates you when considering what single malt whiskies to buy?

Cheers,
Murray

RN Rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is defintely a trend for young way overpriced NAS whiskies but there are a few brands such as some of Whyte & Mackays single malt brands that offer pretty decent choice of single malts and blends at a decent price, namely Tamnavulin, Jura and Shackletons blend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: