Dallas Dhu distillery was built 6 miles
from Dallas by Wright & Greig Ltd, a
Glasgow based blending company. The
distillery changed hands twice before it
was taken over by the DCL in 1929. In
April 1939 the distillery was damaged by
fire. The distillery remained closed
during the second World War. In 1950 the
distillery was connected to the national
grid. Up until 1971 the wash still
rummager was powered by a water wheel.
Dallas Dhu stopped production in 1983.
In 1988 it was bought by Scotland’s
Historic Buildings and Monuments
Directorate and is now a museum. Today
it is part of Speyside’s Whisky trail.
The distillery has always been seen as a
time capsule for the distilling industry
as it did not have many modernising
changes made to it.
Dallas Dhu Tasting Notes
Dhu 1980 Gordon & MacPhail. Colour:
Yellow straw. Nose:
Spicy with slight oily notes. A floral pot pourri
note emerges with a cedar wood edge.
Traces of fruit - pineapples and kiwi
Spicy with earth and moss - like
flavours. Rich, fruit flavours develop
with a drying smokiness. Finish:
Dry with a hint of mustard..